31′ Cheoy Lee Offshore 31
BVI Yacht Sales Overview
Selkie is a fantastic little yacht built for Peter J Merkus Jr. in Hong Kong in 1968. She has a long history of ocean cruising. The seller bought her in North Carolina in 2010 and after a little upgrade and kitting out sailed her to the British Virgin Islands, where he lived on her and cruised while working as a freelance yacht captain. In the British Virgin Islands he met a carpenter who had done some work on her 20 years ago when the yacht name was Scorpion. There is no info so far on how she got there, how long she stayed and where she was cruised before ending up in North Carolina. However this is probably just a small part of the many miles she has done offshore since 1968. In 2015 the seller met his love at the Last Resort in Trellis Bay and hatched a plan to sail to Panama. They made their way there via Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti and Jamaica. Selkie ended up in Bocas del Toro where the couple lived for a while and worked on an entrepreneurial start up. With a heavy heart and almost ten years after purchase the seller put in many months of hard work to renovate her and make her ready to for a new owner to cruise. Wanting to make sure she was in a condition that would ensure the new owner saw her true colours and would maintain her well for many years to come.
Seller is willing to do delivery himself to many locations, Caribbean and US for the right buyer. He will be happy to also assist the buyer with any information needed.
The new Mainsail and Genoa were designed at North Sails Italy by the designer of many of the Mediterranean racing yachts sails. He did this as a favor to the seller. Although they are Cruising Dacron they have been custom designed with care and have excellent balance, shape and features. They have been fitted and tested but not used.
Forward cabin with double bed, foam mattress cushions with 4? memory foam topper. Storage under bunk. Reading light and AC 110V double socket installed. Large overhead hatch provides a sky view and good ventilation in bed.
Head aft of cabin has Jabsco Manual Toilet on starboard and sink to port, with door closing to the saloon. Door can be added easily to separate head from bunk when necessary. Three way valve selects holding tank or sea pump-out. Also there is a manual pump to pump out the holding tank located behind toilet. Storage behind head and sink. The head has good sealing port holes on port and starboard.
Saloon has been modified for cruising to create space for a refrigerator (included with sale) and more storage to port. There is a long seat to starboard which can double as an extra bunk. Above the bunk is a new electrical panel and MPPT solar charge controller. Port aft is the sink, counter top and drawers for galley equipment (galley equipment included with sale) with more storage behind counter top, sink and refrigerator. Cabin sole is Teak and Holly. There is a Teak framed companionway mosquito net in a holder on the ceiling. An automatic bilge pump is located below the teak companionway steps and behind the steps is access to the belt side of the engine. The saloon has large windows and a small hatch forward of a single Dorade vent for ventilation.
Selkie has a large cockpit for her size which is part of the reason the seller chose the boat for the tropics, as most of the time is spent in the cockpit. To further open up the space a folding tiller has been added which works folded with a Simrad tiller pilot (included) to keep the cockpit free. The tiller can quickly unfold and lock straight when hand steering is required. No quadrant or cables keep things simple and reliable. The cockpit features a Raymarine C90w chartplotter, linked to an Airmar Smart Triducer for depth, speed and temperature (New 2019) and to an ST70 display which can receive all info from chart-plotter via the Seatalk Ng backbone. The throttle/gear control single leaver is high quality stainless steel by Vetus. There is also a manual bilge pump in the cockpit with handy lever storage. A large hatch can be removed for excellent engine access. There is plenty of room in the cockpit lockers for the cruising gear you may need. The cockpit is finished in teak. The cockpit is shaded aft by a Bimini.
- Main anchor Bruce, with 316 stainless steel chain and nylon rhode
- Spare Brittany type anchor with galvanized chain and rhode.
- All lines, sheets, halyards, shackles and blocs needed for cruising in reasonable condition.
- 10ft Inflatable tender with folding ridged floor. (packs away small)
- 9.8Hp Tohatsu outboard, runs well and starts first pull when warm, or easily with choke when cold.
- 4 X black fenders with lines, 2 new 2018.
- Barbecue – Magma marine gas with new burner. Has tray with chopping board ad-on and swivel mount for fishing rod holder.
- 2 X fishing rod holders mounted on bimini.
- Shakespeare sport fishing rod suitable for big game fishing. With Penn Senator Reel.
- Plastimo hand bearing compass.
- Davis plastic sextant.
- Magma LED high power flashlight
- Mostly complete galley equipment, just a few items missing.
- Seller used a Coleman 2 burner camping stove and liked to cook in the cockpit. (buyer would need a new one. Or could install a 3 burner marine stove instead of top drawer in galley area. Seller also used a folding camping ovan at times (not included).
- Lots of tools. A very good tool bag with manual and electrical tools. Plus power tools including: Dewalt power drill, Dremel Multimax, Jigsaw, Heatgun and a Ridget Lithium battery set with small power drill and impact driver. Many bits for the drills and impact driver.
- Cobra hand held/portable VHF 1W + 5W.
- Many spare parts for engine, outboard, fittings, fasteners and electrical.
- Inflatable Luci solar lights, one candle effect and one multi colour.
- Life jackets
- Glues, sealants, paints and varnishes.
- Cleaning products and polishes.
- Spare killcords and keys.
- Plus more (but the boat is not cluttered)
- Raymarine C90w chartplotter
- ST70 Multifuntion display
- Airmar DST800 Smart Triducer (New 2019)
- Seatalk Ng Backbone
- Simrad T32 Autopilot (New 2016)
- Spare Raymarine R62241 GPS Antenna
- Requires new VHF radio, easily fitted, buyer can choose their preference. DSC GPS position can be received from a number of sources (seller will assist with info). Mast head aerial is fitted with plenty of spare cable behind electrical panel for installation wherever needed in saloon or cockpit
- 1 X AGM Group 29 100Ah Lead Acid battery (new 2019)
- 1 X 140Ah AGM battery (purchased 2014)
- Battery selector switch, 1, 2, both, off
- 2 X 100 W Flexible solar panels mounted on Bimini (Purchased 2016)
- 1 X BlueSky Solar Charge Controller (new 2019)
- 1500W Inverter with voltage and wattage readout. US and USB sockets (new 2016)
- AC sockets in salon, cockpit locker and cabin.
- Shore power 32A socket, breaker and cable.
- 10A battery charger, linked to shore power connection.
- Breaker Panel for: Cabin lights, water, refrigerator, navigation lights, deck light and VHF.
- Breaker Panel for: Navigation electronics, autopilot and engine instruments light.
- Switch: Bilge pump, auto, off, manual
- Bilge pump with float switch (new 2019)
- Refrigerator – Engel MR-040F (New 2014, very good condition and very low power use)
- LED lights inside in all areas, one in salon has red or white option. (some new 2019)
LOA: 31 ft 0 in
Beam: 8 ft 8 in
LWL: 23 ft 4 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 8 in
Displacement: 10700 lbs
Ballast: 3800 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 38 ft 0 in
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 3 GM 30F
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Fresh Water Tanks: (60 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (20 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (5 Gallons)
Number of cabins: 1
Number of heads: 1