38′ Contest 38 S
BVI Yacht Sales Overview
1988 38′ Contest 38 S
The Contest 38S is world-renowned for their excellent sailing capabilities and high standard of interior finish work. This classic design by Dick Zaal is made to the highest standards and using quality materials by Conyplex in Holland.
This vessel is set up for cruising, be it blue water sailing or island hopping the Caribbean. The shoal draft winged keel allows you to explore shallower waters with her 4’7″ draft , all without sacrificing performance! There are two cabins and four berths with plenty of headroom. The spacious interior will make you feel like you are on a much larger vessel. The center cockpit allows for a generous aft cabin with a large pullman berth and settee as well as a V-berth forward. She has a great living and entertaining space in the salon and nicely appointed galley with ample storage thorough.
This particular vessel INUK has been meticulously cared for and continuously upgraded for a comfortable off the grid lifestyle with a number of upgrades in 2022 to prepare for the owners journey across the Atlantic and extended Caribbean cruise.
Recent upgrades & notable features include:
-New standing rigging (2022)
-New main sail and jib (2022). Genua (2008) on a furler. Gennaker (2002) in Excellent condition
-Wind Vane that works amazing & can serve as a spare rudder
-Solar & Wind Generator sustain the vessels daily electrical needs
-AIS, SSB, VHF, Radar, Simrad autopilot.
-Cork Marinedeck 2000 in Excellent condition
Contact Chesnee Cogswell today for more information and many more photos. The owners are actively cruising the Caribbean and would ideally like to hand over their beloved INUK July 1 to her new owners to carry on her cruising adventures but a good offer may motivate them to sell sooner!
BOAT HISTORY & OWNERS COMMENTS
INUK was on her second long term ownership when we bought her. We stayed in contact with the previous owners and know this vessel and her systems inside and out. The previous owners used her as a holiday getaway on the water and lightly sailed her on different seas around Europe/Med. Sailing her in the summer and hauling her out in the winter. They did the bottom every year.
Two years ago, when we bought her, one of the best known surveyors in Holland (Olav Cox) did a complete survey of the boat which resulted in a 28 page survey report.
From there we started preparing Inuk for her departure of a year long sailing adventure including the Atlantic ocean crossing. Now one year and 7000 miles later, she is in her best condition to continue cruising and make more miles on different seas.
During our two years of ownership of INUK we have experienced that she is really all we were looking for; a perfect blue water cruiser and a cozy/comfortable home. As a cruiser she is super stable because of the top quality design by Dick Zaal. The center cockpit makes you feel protected and safe when you are sailing out at sea, even in heavy weather. The sail wardrobe, winches, lines and boom contain everything you need for a sailing setup for all weather conditions and courses. The fact that many things on the boat are manual, ensures that it does not break easily, and if it does, you can easily repair it.
As a home, the classic teak wood and new ocean blue upholstery of the benches makes it feel as a home. We enjoyed the spacious interior with plenty of stowage, as well as the complete U-shaped galley.
Being totally self-sufficient and fully equipped, Inuk can bring you anywhere in the world.
By fulfilling our dream of a full year of blue water cruising and crossing the Atlantic ocean, we are happy that the next sailor can fulfill their dream.
- Interior Comforts and Amenities
- Electronics and Navigation Equipment
- Electrical System
- Mechanical Equipment
- Deck and Cockpit Equipment
- Sails and Rigging
- Safety Equipment
- Ceiling renewed with isolated Eurovinyl (2010)
- New Interior Settee Upholstery (2022)
- Shower with hot water
- Classic teak interior
- Ample storage
- Classing original clock, Hydrometer and Barometer.
- Frigoboat fixed refrigerator – 12V. Aircooled compressor. Top opening box 50liters
- Techimpex XL3 2010 – 3 pit stove and gas oven
- Propane Shut off Valve
- Replaced flexible gas hose and manometer (2022).
- Checked pressure on gas system(2022)
- (2) Alecto SCA10 – Smoke + Carbon Monoxide alarm
- Vented Propane Locker w/ room for 2 propane 6 kg gas tanks
- (2) propane 6 kg gas tanks.
- Saffier gas bbq mounted on aft Pushpit
- Water Heater: Plastimo 20 liter boiler, (Heated through 220V or engine)
- Water System: Pressurized fresh water. 3 sinks and shower, all with hot and cold water.
- Manual foot pump freshwater in galley.
- Heater: Webasto Airtop 3500 heating installation (2003) , heats captain cabin, saloon and head
- Headroom min/max: 190cm
- Length of bunks min/max: 200cm
- Autopilot: Simrad AP24 autopilot, Electric drive ram with display in cockpit. Strong and reliable.
- Primary Chart Plotter: Tablet Lenovo, connected with Navionics 2023 and wireless AIS. Compatible with any phone as a backup
- Secondary Chart Plotter: Garmin Marine GPS Map 526, 12V. Mounted in cockpit.
- Primary GPS: Garmin Marine GPS 128, with external antenna.
- Secondary GPS: Handheld Garmin GPS 12
- Radar: Koden Marine Radar MD-3441 – 4kwh
- Depth, Speed, Wind, Distance & Logs: VDO Oceanline, round meters. Depth, Log, wind direction and wind speed.
- SSB Radio: SSB radio Yaesu FT100 (2001), with automatic antenna tuner SGC230 (2001) and Pactor modem PTC-2 USB (2006)
- Primary VHF Radio: Furuno 2721 DSC VHF 25W (2003), speaker in cockpit and navigation chart table
- Secondary VHF Radio: Handheld Standard Horizon – Floating HX300
- Compass: C. Plath (revised in 2022) + Plastimo Contest compass in cockpit + handheld Plastimo Iris 50 compass
- Stereo: Pioneer audio system (with bluetooth connectivity)
- Stereo Speakers: Pioneer speakers
- AIS Receiver: Watcheye B class, receiver/transponder. Wireless compatible with any device. With external antenna (2022)
- Navigation lights: LED, (2022)
- Deck lights:. Front Deck Light
- Search lights: Mag-Lite
With this set up we crossed the ocean 3 months ago and have been stand alone sailing for the past full year. The solar panels and wind generator generate enough energy to navigate and have the fridge running full time. As a back up the Volvo Penta has 2 alternators.
12v DC / 230v AC
House: (3) 105AH Deepcycle (2022)
Engine: (1) 105AH Deepcycle (2022)
Solar Panels: (2) Victron 115Watt(230Watt total) rotatable Solar panels (2022)
Solar Charge Controller(s): Victron MPPT 100/20 charge controller with bluetooth. Spare Victron MPPT 75/10 charge controller. (2022)
Wind Generator: Wind generator Airmarine 400W (2015)
Inverter: Mastervolt AC Master 12/300 – 230V. 300W up till 600W Peak load (2020)
Battery Charger: Victron automatic charger – 12V 25AH
Shore Power Cord: 20 meter shore power cord + 50 meter shore power cord on roll
Battery Monitor: Mastervolt Battery Monitor, BTMI
Alternator: (2) Alternators on inboard engine. One for service on for start battery. The alternator for service batteries has been replaced (2023)
Manual Bilge Pumps: Whale manual bilge pump. Controlled from cockpit
Electric Bilge Pumps: Einhell electric portable waterpump – 8000 liter every hour. (2022)
Steering type: WhitlockEurope steering – wheel steering, manual rod transmission. Checked 2022
Windvane: Windpilot Pacific plus1 (2003). Has his own rudder & can also be used as an emergency rudder.
Bow Thrusters: Bow propeller Vetus type 3kw – TF12 RPM 3400, 3000W, 350A
Propeller:(3) blade messing propeller. Size in inch 17X12
Primary: Vulcan Rocna 20KG w/ 50 meters,10mm steel chain
Secondary: CQR 35LBS – 16kg w/ 30 meter -12 mm rode
Dinghy: 3 kg foldable anchor w/ 20m Rode
Anchor Windlass: Lofrans 600W -12V. Electrical engine has been overhauled and rebuilt, relays and electric parts under deck(2022), control on foredeck.
Bow Anchor Roller(s): Heavy duty stainless steel anchor roller, combined with stainless steel bow protector. Also small anchor roller on the stern, for stern anchor.
Bimini Top: Bimini mounted directly on sprayhood, without headroom.
Awning: Tailored sail which can be mounted over boom when at anchor.
Side Curtains: Wintertent covers full cockpit and mounted on sprayhood.
Dodger / sprayhood: Sprayhood Toussein (2013) with fixed glass windows.
Cockpit Awning: Wintertent covers full cockpit and mounted on sprayhood.
Cockpit Table: Teak cockpit table, mounted on steering stand, including separate teak glass holder
Fenders and Dock Lines: 4 fenders, 1 bolfender, docklines
Swim Platform: Stainless steel/teak swim platform, completes full stern
Bow Pulpit and Rails: Fore and aft bow pulpit. New rails(2022)
Swim Ladder: Stainless steel swim ladder, mounted on swim platform
Side Stanchions and Lifelines: Nylon lifeline over deck, from stern to bow
Life Raft: Liferaft Seasafe ISAF/DIS ISO9650 4 pers. In container, with new certificate (2022)
Targa Arch: Yes, contains radar pole, wind generator and solar panels and antennas.
Navigation Lights: Navigation lights LED (2022). Front Deck Light
Outboard engine bracket
Hull had complete new epoxy system with 6 layers of Gelshield (1998)
Cork deck is Kurk MarineDeck 2000 (2001) Maintenance free!
Jib: 21m2 ,
Main: Mainsail from Msails Holland – Endurance Ocean with strong performance Contender Pro Dacron – 3 reefs and 4 battens (2022)
Jib: Furling genoa triradial laminate 45m2 (2008), new UV strip and leech in (2018). Good condition
Staysail: Stayjib on second forestay – Endurance Ocean line, Contender Pro Dacron. With reef so can be used as storm jib (2022)
Spinakker: Asymmetric Spinnaker/Gennaker (2002) – in trunk, also called a gennaker snuffer, which creates easy and safe hoisting (new condition)
Selden mast with 2 spreaders
Pfeiffer Marine Lazyjack system (2012)
Haase Furling – Checked and replaced (2022)
Mainsheet Traveler: Australia traveler
Pole: Selden pole, fixed on mast with traveler easy and safe to handle.
Back Stay Adjuster: Nemo backstay manual adjuster
Boom Vang: Manual
Standing Rigging: Forestay (Furler) Wire 1×19, 8mm (2022). Second Removable forestay Dyneema 8mm (2022). 4 Submissive stay Wire 1×19, 8mm (2022). 2 Headstay Wire 1×19, 8mm (2022). Isolated backstay Wire 1×19, 8mm (2022)
Chain Plates: Chainplates in mast replaced (2022)
(1) Enkes 20 – 2 speed self tailing for main halyard
(1) Enkes 18 – 2 speed for reefs;
(3) Enkes 22 -2 speed for genoa and jib halyard
(2) Enkes 48 – 2 speed, self tailing winches.
(2) Meissner 27 – 2 speed winches (with self tailing rubbers)
First Aid Offshore kit (2022)
EPIRB: Ocean Signal, Epirb 1 Rescue me (2022)
Liferaft Seasafe ISAF/DIS ISO9650 4 pers. In container, with new certificate (2022)
Fire Extinguishers: (2) Flameline powder fire extinguisher (2022), (1) Flamline foam fire extinguisher – (1) fire blanket (2022)
Emergency Tiller: Stainless steel emergency tiller, easy to mount
Safety Jon and buoy